We were told to create something, anything. An artifact that had to do with flight. OK, great, flight. Kristen had said that she wanted to collaborate on a song, I thought it was a great idea. A straight ahead cheesy flying song, one part hilarity, one part parody, and one part guilty pleasure. Then in my english class, I stumbled upon the poem "The Windhover" by Gerard Manley Hopkins. It was a gorgeous poem that had this enthralling quality about it. It was an ecstasy, an ecstatic declamation, a world of flight in this bird. Then I had the great idea. What if I were to read the poem aloud and have musicians spontaneously respond to me. Jack Kerouac did a similar thing and release three albums of this material. Great idea. Better yet when we got Rachel involved. Now we had saxophone and guitar, a strange pairing, but one that has a beautiful interaction. This recording was the first take. I wanted to make sure the musicians didn't fall into a pattern of regularity. They had the poem read to them once, then it was time to record. Not the best recording technology (garageband all the way!) but certainly good enough to see the intent.
This was a lot of fun to do, and explored some serious ideas that I'd love to delve into more. The idea of a spontaneously responding musician. The idea of ecstasy as it relates to flight. Vertigo. Falling. All these great musical and poetic ideas that can combine to make some of the most moving material. Is our piece the greatest? No, it is a little rough. But does it bring about some seriously intriguing topics? Yes it does.
The Windhover
Voice: Corey Smith
Guitar: Kirsten Carey
Tenor Sax: Rachel Mazer
The Windhover
Gerard Manley Hopkins
To Christ our Lord
I caught this morning morning's minion, king-
dom of daylight's dauphin, dapple-dawn-drawn Falcon, in his riding
Of the rolling level underneath him steady air, and striding
High there, how he rung upon the rein of a wimpling wing
In his ecstasy! then off, off forth on swing,
As a skate's heel sweeps smooth on a bow-bend: the hurl and gliding
Rebuffed the big wind. My heart in hiding
Stirred for a bird, – the achieve of, the mastery of the thing!
Brute beauty and valour and act, oh, air, pride, plume, here
Buckle! AND the fire that breaks from thee then, a billion
Times told lovelier, more dangerous, O my chevalier!
No wonder of it: shéer plód makes plough down sillion
Shine, and blue-bleak embers, ah my dear,
Fall, gall themselves, and gash gold-vermilion.
No comments:
Post a Comment